FOLK DANCE EDUCATION
Folk dance is a form of expressive dance which has developed through the fusion of culture and beliefs in different geographies. The figures are representative of lifestyles and tales of different places. This part of the culture has been passed down from generation to generation akin to all other middle eastern art forms found in rural regions.
The variations in actions, costumes and music in folk dances is indicative of the rich culture of the middle east and Anatolia in particular.
According to region in Turkey folk dance is separated as such
- Bar : folk dance of Ağrı , Erzurum , Erzincan , Artvin
Examples: Hançer Bar'ı , Baş Bar , İkinci Bar
- Halay : Throughout East and South East Anatolia
Cities of Van, Gaziantep, Adiyaman, Diyarbakir etc
- Hora / Karşilama : Prominent in Thrace region
Cities of Edirne, Kirklareli, Canakkale, Tekirdag
- Horon : Black Sea region of Turkey
- Kaşik : in the cities of Konya, Mersin, Afyon, Silifke
- Zeybek: Aegean region of Turkey
Folk dance is a way to socialise in groups, to exercise and express themselves.